4/26/11

On Obtaining a U.S. Passport

Ken, from Massachusetts, writes, "My daughter is a world-class procrastinator. According to her understanding today was supposed to be the last day one could apply for a passport and get it by the time she needs it one month from today. So, of course, she waited until today to make her application. However, as of April 1st a certified birth certificate does not suffice to prove a U.S. birth and, hence, U.S. citizenship. One now needs a certified birth certificate listing the parents' names. She doesn't have a long form birth certificate in her possession. Rather than making an emergency trip to Connecticut [birthplace of Ken's daughter], we opted for me to fill out an affidavit of birth (Form DS-1), and go down to the post office with her with all my proofs of identity and citizenship. I attested that I have indeed known her since she was born and that I was present at her birth here in the good ol' USA and that I know what I'm talking about since I am her father.

Also, she learned that the deadline for an expedited passport application is a moving target. You won't really know if you qualify for an expedited application unless you call them. They will answer 'yes' or 'no' based on how busy they are or something equally vague. Fortunately, she was able to apply for it by mail rather than having to go in person to Boston.

I don't know about you, but I'll surely sleep better knowing that passports will now only be granted to those with long form birth certificates. Though I am a bit hazy on how that actually improves homeland security or protects against fraud."

TCC Note: Intriguing how presidencies don't require the long form birth certificate, but passport applications do. Thanks for sharing, Ken. I hope your daughter receives a "si."

Update: Finally?

No comments: